Since the early 1900s, Birmingham has had a significant Greek community, and in 1906, a group of Greek immigrants raised enough funds to acquire a church.
However, their current cathedral wasn't built until 1949.
Being featured in Birmingham's Festival of Arts in the late 1960s led to the start of an annual Greek Food Festival in the 1970s to showcase Greek cuisine, crafts, music, dance, and hospitality.
42 years later, it's a central event in the city, and 1 of my favorites to attend (and not just because of the baklava and pastichio)! Opa!
A great example of Oriental Mission architecture, the residence of W.L. Tubbs, on the southwest corner of Spurgeon and 9th streets in Santa Ana sadly only this photo exist of the structure but it's flare and character is incredibly compelling.
Who's ready for Naming Night at the Museum? This guy certainly is. This is just one of the 100 photos we're hoping to learn more about this evening. 7 - 9 pm; free admission. Photo: Whistler Question Collection, 1979
Spotted another horse trough donated by Annis & George Bills - this one was in Johnson Street #annandale in front of the primary school. It has a plaque outlining the history of the trough donations along with its proposed removal in the 1970s until it was saved by members of the Annandale Association #may_day_2017📷#localhistory#billstroughs
The Benjamin P. Cheney Academy, circa 1888. Mr. Cheney was a director on the Northern Pacific Railroad's management board. He donated $10,000 ($250,000 in today's currency) to erect the school. Photo courtesy of the Eastern Washington University Archives.
Read "A Cultured Blossom Sown in Pioneer Soils" by Steven Branting, adapted from Augusta Bunker: Eastern's First Eagle Lands (2016), in the September-October issue of Nostalgia Magazine.
The Union Academy, Doylestown's first school. Located at the corner of East Court and Broad Streets in Doylestown Borough, this school was erected in 1804. In 1889, the building was demolished to make way for construction of a new school. Stone from the Academy was used for the foundation of the new school. Uriah Dubois, who managed the school, resided next to the Academy from 1807-1808. DuBois also became the first minister of the Presbyterian Church and is buried just outside the front door of the church. #Doylestown#localhistory